Side Trim Moulding Clips

Jean-Marc Dugas

PCS Member
I am looking for a supplier for these clips that hold the side mouldings in place. Any suggestion as to....

1. What the proper name for the clips are
2. Which supplier should I reach out to in order to purchase new ones for the 54XL.

Thanks,Side Moulding 01.pngSide Moulding 02.jpgSide Moulding 03.jpgSide Moulding 04.PNG

This will get you started on a loong path.

Sorry but most of the old hands who could look at your drawing and hand you the clip are long retired. Worse the computer sent most of the old nonperforming inventory to recycle.

This will get you started on a loong path.

Sorry but most of the old hands who could look at your drawing and hand you the clip are long retired. Worse the computer sent most of the old nonperforming inventory to recycle.
Thanks Walter, I'll have a look.

The bottom one if they are the Audi ones. Are as close as you can get to the rambler ones MM used. The other gm clips need the special rivets to hold them on. S&S used them on there cars you can use the small t bolts threw the holes to put them on also.

The Auveco 13828 is the correct clip to use. The clip that you have shown is a body builder substitute for the OEM that was used on the production cars. The factory had welded on studs that these clips would slide over and if you don't have the studs, there are pop rivets that can be used, or you can purchase very small stainless steel screws that can be drilled into the metal to hold the clips. If your car had the 1/8" hole drilled into the sheet metal, then the best bet would be to try to find a clip that has the plastic rivet in the center to hold it to the body. That style of clip is usually used on foreign cars, more so than domestic cars. I would take the clip and your calipers to the local body shop supply store and see if they can match it to anything that they have in inventory.

The Auveco 13828 is the correct clip to use. The clip that you have shown is a body builder substitute for the OEM that was used on the production cars. The factory had welded on studs that these clips would slide over and if you don't have the studs, there are pop rivets that can be used, or you can purchase very small stainless steel screws that can be drilled into the metal to hold the clips. If your car had the 1/8" hole drilled into the sheet metal, then the best bet would be to try to find a clip that has the plastic rivet in the center to hold it to the body. That style of clip is usually used on foreign cars, more so than domestic cars. I would take the clip and your calipers to the local body shop supply store and see if they can match it to anything that they have in inventory.
These clips have a plastic rivet or pin that holds them in place.

These clips have a plastic rivet or pin that holds them in place.
If you can get to the backside of the clip, then push the pin out, catch it in your hand, and reuse at later date. Those pins used to be available in bulk, but the last time I ordered some, I got the message that they were discontinued. You could buy some 3/32" nylon rod and cut your own. You will have to chamfer the edges to insert them, but it isn't an impossibility to do. Just takes time.

If you can get to the backside of the clip, then push the pin out, catch it in your hand, and reuse at later date. Those pins used to be available in bulk, but the last time I ordered some, I got the message that they were discontinued. You could buy some 3/32" nylon rod and cut your own. You will have to chamfer the edges to insert them, but it isn't an impossibility to do. Just takes time.
The push pins are almost impossible to recover because they fall into one of the cross members.

Now if you have the clips but not the retainers. A 3/32 wood dowel will get you all the retainers you need. Slide it in cut it off move to the next one and repeat.
Some of the clips are missing and the ones that are left in place have been painted over a couple of times already. Some dis not grab the belt moulding really well allowing for some movement. Reusing them would be my last option

I'll have to see if these would fit in the holes that are already there.

They will not fit into the holes, since the holes are much larger. If the car hasn't been painted yet, the shop can braze the holes shut and use the new type of clips. If it has been painted, then you will have to hunt down something that will work with those holes.

They will not fit into the holes, since the holes are much larger. If the car hasn't been painted yet, the shop can braze the holes shut and use the new type of clips. If it has been painted, then you will have to hunt down something that will work with those holes.
It has not been painted.

before the holes are closed up, run a piece of painter's tape along the top side of the holes, and clearly mark the placement of the holes in regard to a door opening. Once you have this, take a picture of it, and also transcribe the locations of the holes for future reference. When they start to install the new clips, this will tell them where the holes were, and they can avoid the brazed hole area since the brazed metal will be harder than the sheet metal to drill into. If you go with the Auveco 9877 screws, they are self-drilling and work well.

I like the pop rivets better. Find them a lot easier to work with. The #1 phillips slot is not easy to put in. I'll run the tape across the center of the holes the drill the 1/8 hole inbetween the old ones except the ends will need to be close to the origional hole. The you can fill the ones you don't need. But everyone works things just a little differently. The key is to find the way that works best for you. I remember at first the only way to replace the studs was the the screws after a repair. They came with the moldings from gm. Once i found the rivets i never put in another one.

OK here is what we are talking about. my buddy MR Leadford gave me this box of 1/2 in T bolts. set for pal nuts. the next is a collection of gm moldinf clip of which I found will work will work. and the special rivers to put them on. next it a box ot threaded t bolts. next the same size molding on a cb. next inside the cb I used the t bolts threw the existing holes to bolt the molding in place. I could do it in this place on this car with the interior out. though on most it is only one card board panel you would have to remove. next is the rivet in place using the speachal noise piece to set them at the correct spacing. nex the standard gm 1/2 inch molding clip. the 73 S&S used these. door molding off a ambulance fits tight to this number clipIMG_7484.JPGIMG_7485.JPGIMG_7487.JPGIMG_7488.JPGIMG_7489.JPGIMG_7490.JPGIMG_7491.JPGIMG_7492.JPGIMG_7493.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
now again. lets try this one a shorter clip. tight fit works best on curves. that is this one. next the Audi clip looks just like the original. you will have to drill out the holes to 1/4 inch. they are tight but the molding will go on and hold vary tight. you may need to use the rubber hammer to get them on. taking the molding off will most likly damage them. then the T bolt it will go into the existing hole but you have to be able to access it from inside doors. are usaly out hols are behind the inner brace. front fenders, quarters are a good place for them. the will hold threw the worse of times

Attachments

• IMG_7494.JPG
    IMG_7494.JPG
    495.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_7495.JPG
    IMG_7495.JPG
    496.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7496.JPG
    IMG_7496.JPG
    615.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_7497.JPG
    IMG_7497.JPG